Yesterday after watering the flowers I came back inside to the kitchen to find Harrison (15 months) desperately, guiltily grabbing one last handful of coffee beans and stuffing them in his mouth. I didn't think too much of it. He had eaten one or two before or at least put them in his mouth and chewed them up and spit them out. I dug the two out of his mouth and never gave it another thought. As bad as they taste covered in chocolate surely he didn't eat them plain. They came from a tray that I had setting on my shelf with a candle in it. Well as the evening progressed he became wilder and wilder. He had the other kids howling with laughter and was just having a high old time. He was being so cute and smiley and happy. Finally at about 11:30 I got him to sleep. It lasted until about 2:20 and that was it. He was so wide awake and jittery and constantly moving for the rest of the night. We tried the rocking chair, the couch, pacing the floor, and finally our bed. Actually a few rounds of each. Finally at about 5:3o I asked him if he wants to go play. He was so excited. He slid off the bed and went tearing out to the living room all by himself in the pitch dark. We could hear him chattering to himself for a while. Then he went to M and W's room trying to get some company. Finally at about 6:00 he fell asleep for 45 minutes and has been going strong ever since. From what we've gleaned out of his diaper so far this morning I'm guessing he ate no less than 70 coffee beans and hard telling
how many more are still in there. He must have been needing a caffeine fix. Each to his own kind of snack.
EDIT (Saturday): Until all was said and done I think the total number of coffee beans harvested from his diaper reached right around 100, the last ones coming out Friday evening. His wildness lasted until Thursday night with only a 1 1/2 hour nap Thursday afternoon. On Friday he was pretty much a zombie, just sitting and staring for long periods of time. Today when I was trying to keep him awake a little longer so that he would sleep when we get home, M suggested that I feed him some more coffee beans. No thanks. She obviously wasn't the one that had to deal with him in the middle of the night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
oooohhhh dear! funny but NOT in the middle of the night! :)- e
Amazing. Jason told me he saw him at the office this morning and that he was still quite wired. :) Makes you wonder if he has been sneaking a few each day and building his addiction...:)
I laughed till i had tears coming out of my eyes! Sorry. That wasn't the most sympathetic response. Hope he gets it worked out of his system soon.
:D- Oh, my, the giggle did me good. i don't know, but if he's voluntarily eating the coffee beans now i don't think there's much hope for him NOT becoming a starbucks addict.
Miss you! L.
that is absolutely hilarious. i thought R's going to sleep habits were pretty bad lately, but this beats it all to pieces. !!!!
Praying for you tonight - hoping Harrison gets over the tummy pain...
this is to funny. sorry for the loss of sleep... yes i think he will be a serious coffee drinker
tilda, this is the best story I've heard in a long while. I had no idea a kid that young could enjoy so many coffee beans or that it would cause such a reaction. wow.
hope your nights are much more restful by now.
Oh. my. goodness. 100 coffee beans?? That's crazy! Miss you...wish I could see you again.
Tilts-
Fun to see you today!! I just read this coffee story & it ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!! (on this side of course) I might have to post your "story" on my own blog...would you mind? =)))
the joys of parenting!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Post a Comment