M has been looking foward to her 4th birthday for a long time. Probably ever since she turned 3. And my goodness, did she ever grow up in that minute between 11:59 and 12:00am, February 24th. I think the first words out of her mouth that morning were "Mom, I'm 4 now." Just as matter of fact and grown up as could be. She immediately washed her hands at the sink without the stool, reached up as high as she could on the bookshelf, and pointed out to me that her ponytail was a little longer now. I think she honestly believes she grew that much overnight. Not to mention all the priveleges she thinks she is entitled to now that she is 4. Virgil took her with him to work all day and to Burger King and Dairy Queen. She came home with a pack of gum, a Happy Meal toy, and a rather exalted opinion of herself. A few days later she was trying her usual bossing around with W. I sat her down and explained how that she was not his boss and she couldn't always think everyone had to play her way. Her reply? ... "Daddy told me I can do more things now because I'm 4." I don't think Virgil completely thought through that one before he said it. She definately took it as a license to do whatever she felt like at the moment.
For her party we let her invite 5 kids. Talk about a noisy mess. You get 7 little excited and high-pitched voices in a trailer for an hour and a half and you're glad birthdays only come once a year. We gave her a new bike and all the kids would take turns riding it down the hallway. The six kids that were not having their turn would go racing behind the rider all trying to loudly proclaim that it was their turn next. Ear plugs would have been appropriate.
It is sad for me in a way to see her growing up. It seems so fast. Soon she will not be a girl anymore, but a woman. Wow. Which reminds me of something else she said. "When I'm 14 I'm going to invite just girls to my party and when I'm 17 I will invite just boys." Can we just have time stand still for a while?
7 comments:
so darling cute! i love her cakes, too. babies just grow up way too fast. it seems like every couple of days r will do or say something that reminds me she is not a baby anymore! wish they could play together. r would think m is SUCH a big girl! love ya.
Oh, i love the cakes! and cute little comments. I so well remember the feeling....the little girlies growing into big girls. Even at 4 they can handle and manage alot of responsibilities. The young woman in her is just around the corner.
Thanks so much for the pictures of my darling little woman growing up so fast. Its hard to believe she is 4. Mom
my my... i think it would be appropriate for you to get some long 2x4's already to keep close to your day. That day is going to come way too fast. She is such an interesting female and always will be i'm sure....
yes, i LOVE the cakes . . . so pink and girlie, and *purses* , for goodness sake are just so grown up.
wish we'd see you this wkend . . . like i said, I'm so EXCITED about this mini trip 'cause I haven't been out of the state since our Oregon trip in September!!
oh, and one more thing. you told Phil you have your "sources" for information, but realized after you hung up with me that *I* must be one of your biggest sources since I was the one you called when you really wanted more info. Hee-hee. just have to rub it in . . . not that I was really volunteering too much that morning, right?? =)
love ya!
Oh Tillie - how precious! Kids sure add bright spots to my days; and it sounds like yours do too!
Wilma
tilts i love those cakes and the comments from little Mary. It would be fun to hear more of her talk lou
Post a Comment