Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Believe I Can Fly

Mary asked me the other day "Why doesn't God always give you what you ask for when you pray?" Wow that is a loaded question. So I pulled out all my wise mommy answers and was even a little smug about how easy I thought I made it for her. I don't know why I thought it would make sense to her when I don't even understand it myself. She was really listening and I was about to pat myself on the back when she said in a sort of disgusted tone, "But Mom, you don't even know what I prayed for."


Siesta Key Beach, FL

"I was standing on the couch getting ready to jump off, and I prayed that if I would put my arms out and flap that He would give me butterfly wings and I could fly. I really wanted them and I wish I could fly." All of my wise answers no longer applied and I had to give a simple "I don't know".




4 comments:

fleurcottage said...

laws of gravity? :) such innocence!

smokers said...

That is too cute. I love to hear the things your children say and do- i could so relate to your last post- meant to comment then, but didn't get it done (maybe due to my own busyness when my little ones.) Charmaine

Anonymous said...

i thought we don't say "i don't know" any more.
chad

Marcia said...

chad, your comment is too funny. we are always supposed to know the answer, and if we don't we should make up an answer, right? mary is so sweet, tilda. love this story!