Monday, February 23, 2009
tears at walmart
Today I once again attempted the great feat of going to town for groceries with 3 kids. Usually it goes fairly well if I leave early enough and am done by nap time. But I am usually completely worn out by the time I'm done. Today I decided to be brave and do Aldi and the Dollar Tree first because I didn't need that much at Walmart, just a few things for Mary's birthday party. Needless to say, by the time I got into Walmart my energy level was swiftly falling. Lugging a 22 lb (+ infant seat) baby and herding 2 toddlers will do that to you. After about an hour of meandering around Walmart and eating at the Subway in there M and W announced that they needed to go to the bathroom. Oh no. This is something I try to avoid at all costs. It is impossible to keep track of a fully loaded (and paid for) cart and three kids in a germ infested bathroom. Something was going to have to be left behind and it wasn't going to be a child. Why would anyone take my cart anyway? Isn't it obvious that I am in the bathroom and will be right back? I did have the sense to take my purse along in so M could sit on it and hold H while I help W pee. After a lot of "don't touch the wall", "get off the floor", "don't let H crawl on the floor", "hurry" and 4 handwashes, we finally emerged. My mouth dropped open and I stared at .... nothing. No cart. Left, right, and left again. No cart. I wanted to sit down right there and cry. But where does that get you? All my hard worked for groceries, all our coats (and it is cold today), and all my energy. I quick ran to the customer service and asked if anyone had brought it in there. No. Even my car keys are in there. And I have no cell phone. It felt like a cold world indeed. I did a few circles and then headed for the door thinking I might still be able to catch the thief. And then I saw it. Just around the corner in the eye department it stood. And with it was Virgil, the big thief. Now there was no stopping the tears. Seeing him was like the answer to all my trouble but at the same time I realized he was also the source of all my trouble. Talk about a serious mixture of giggles and tears and anger and relief. Oh well. That one turned out ok so I guess I'll still risk letting my cart outside the bathroom. Maybe next time I'll at least take my keys with me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh my. I think I felt all your emotions with you as I read this. :) I passed you on one of my 3 trips to town today. Sigh. The first one was to the dr.for Benson. The second one was to the bank. The third one to our adoption support group meeting. Oh well. it was still a good day.
Next time, leave them with me. I'll probably be living in there soon anyway.
Oh my! I was feeling your pain! I remember times that the bathroom called when it was MOST unhandy!
That last comment was by Wilma. sorry I forgto to sign my name! ; )
This is just the best post i've read in awhile.... i couldn't believe that was all happening to you. I think you are the bravest woman ever to take 3 young uns' to town by yourself. That crazy man of yours. How in the world did he know that was your cart? Would've been hilarious if he would've actually claimes someone else's. Instead of leaving such a long comment i could call you aye?
Rachel
What a terrible plight. I could hardly read fast enough to see what happened to you and your poor coatless, freezing children. And then I was going to say "terrible husband", but I'll modify that by saying, "What a horrible thing for a husband to do!" =)
What in the world was he doing at Walmart? Did he know it was your cart? Or was it the providence of God calling him to account? Is he out of work? Was he going to go live under a bridge with it? This story raise's more questions than answers? Tilda are you OK or should Chad come out and get you and the kids?
Just a little more than concerned from Oregon
Nis
Maddening! Relief! Horrifying! All these feelings were going thru my mind as i read hurriedly thru this blog! Horrified was at the precise moment i realized that Virg was the culprit. Tell him to make himself USEFUL the next time...he could have held H. or taken W to the mens....the possibilities go on! Glad you found humor in the day!
not sure what in the world 2 say but i do know that i would've been soooo happy 2 see my husband cart or no cart. those r usually the moments when i kinda wish my plight on my husband who always seems to b able 2 handle the children so well. natalie wonders if u caught the thief and gave him a hug
Tilda - I am requesting your yummy granola recipe, if you give it out... My e-mail is janaandjohn@gmail.com.
Thanks, Jana
This story begs for some explanations.. what was Virge doing at WM in the middle of the day? Where were all the kids while you were dashing to and fro? or wasn't it exactly dashing.
Tilda I think it is high time that you open a "Millers Kountry Kupbard and Bulk Foods" (Evie I know you are groaning). That would put an end to Walmart in your life. Seriously is there no other place to shop? I can hardly stand it that you shop there. I am about grossed out thinking about those bathroom floors and all those blue "Great Value" bags/cans. So unattractive.
By the way you need not worry about the bathroom floor germs as long as the children are on the "juice".
Chad
I'm finished reading "tears at walmart" now, liven it up a bit for us :)We LOVE seeing pictures of the kiddos! You and Virg,too,of course
Post a Comment